Class Rings, Worth It or Not?

Alex Green and Lauryl Thomas

Getting a school ring has been a tradition in high school over the years, but in recent years juniors have been indecisive about whether they should get one. Many feel it’s too expense for something they many not wear when they’re older, while others feel it’s important to get something to remind them of high school and the memories.

According to journalist Amy Pearson, only “about 35 percent of students order rings.”

Class rings can be traced back to the mid 1800’s to United States Military Academy in West Point Virginia. Class rings were a symbol of values and morals and a sense of pride going to one of the best military schools in the country. Since class rings became popular, other schools started a class ring traditions. Schools like Harvard, Yale, and Princeton began to offer rings as they became a symbol of power in the work world to show off one’s education.

Class rings were also used by couples in the 1950’s to show their relationship status. Girls wore their boyfriends’ rings on the third finger in their left hand. This practice was a sign of going steady in a relationship.

Rings in the present day are to commemorate the memories and achievements throughout college and high school.

“I want to get a class ring to  commemorate high school memories, but they can be really expensive, and I’m not sure if I’ll wear it after high school,” said sophomore Brandon Hernandez.

Class ring prices range from $200-$4,000. The price depends on things like metal finish: they have various metals like 10-18 karat gold, silver, or other precious metals. A lot of people don’t think the rings are worth it if they won’t wear them past their senior year.

“I want to get one because they are really nice rings that will leave memories from high school,” said sophomore Aidan Hernandez.

Class rings are an important high school keep sake. Students can personalize the ring based off of sports and clubs, and students can add their name, school name, and graduation year.

“I would want to get one because I would look back and know I had made an accomplishment during school and had made a place at CHS,” said freshman Sydney Keagle.

Class rings are totally customizable based on the wearer’s preference. Students can even put academic achievements or sports championships on their ring.

“I decided not to get a class ring right away because they were really expensive. I’ll eventually get one just not at this moment,” said junior Savannah Brethauer.

Another price factor is what type of stone a student selects from such materials such as real diamonds, pearls, and semi-precious birthstones.

“I do want to get a class ring because they are really cool and I want to show school spirit,” said sophomore Kayla Smith.

• Class Rings, Worth It or Not?

• Class Rings, Worth It or Not?

• Class Rings, Worth It or Not?

• Class Rings, Worth It or Not?

• Class Rings, Worth It or Not?

• Class Rings, Worth It or Not?

• Class Rings, Worth It or Not?

• Class Rings, Worth It or Not?

• Class Rings, Worth It or Not?

• Class Rings, Worth It or Not?

Class Rings, Worth It or Not?