Tips on How to Fill Out a Perfect Bracket

Jack Corcoran, Staff

March Madness is upon us! With Selection Sunday looming upon us, and the conference tournaments in full swing, people all around the United States are watching closely to try to see how their favorite teams do, as well how games can affect potential matchups or seedings.

Just so you don’t embarrass yourself in your bracket pool again, here are some potential tips to try to fill out the Perfect Bracket.

1. Do not only pick your favorite team to win it all. Unless your favorite teams are Kansas, Villanova, Gonzaga, or North Carolina, ignoring seedings and penciling in Maryland or Virginia as your consensus national champion is not a good idea. Although March Madness is prone to upsets, watching your favorite team lose in the Sweet 16 doesn’t help your chances to win your pool. Pick your champion according to matchups and seedings, not your home state.

2. Do not just look at the records of the teams. The teams are seeded for a reason. If a team is 31-0, is only a sixteen seed, and is matched up against a 25 win one seed, it doesn’t mean that the 31 win team is better. Seedings are determined by strength of schedule and conferences, which can also play into signature wins, and, ultimately, whether or not they win their conference tournaments. Again, seedings and matchups are key.

3. Do not be afraid to go for upsets. While picking a sixteen seed to beat a one seed is ludicrous, beating a 10 seed to beat a 7 seed isn’t. Look at last year, for example. The 10 seed Syracuse beat 7 seed Dayton, and 11 seed Northern Iowa beat 6 seeded Texas. Because, remember that you have to take both seedings and matchups into account. While it is important to pay attention to seedings, sometimes matchups are even more important. If a team that has size is going against a team that plays multiple guards at one time, the size is probably going to win. Some personnel are just better equipped for certain matchups than others, regardless of seedings.

Hopefully, if you can take these things into account, you won’t be the laughing stock of your classroom or office anymore, and you will win a little money. What I’ve offered are just the fundamentals for people that don’t watch a lot of college basketball and need some help.

• Tips on How to Fill Out a Perfect Bracket

Tgiving Dinner: Home vs. Going Out

Spirit Week 2017 Recap

Comets Fall to Kenwood in Homecoming Match-Up

Mixed Farmhouse Greens Review

Top 10 Costume Ideas for Hijabis

Spirit Week Traditions, Rules an Annual Concern

High Schoolers and Their Lack of Sleep

New CHS Fall Play: ‘The Diary of Anne Frank’

Go Home Freshmen: Tradition or Torment?

Top Ten Halloween Costumes for 2017