Exchange Students in CHS

Pascal Starck and Kittipoj JirapongSanaurka

Hmung Van L

Van Hmung, Staff

Do you ever wonder what it would be like to be an exchange student; leaving your family behind to study in another country?

This year, an exchange student from Kaiserstraße, located in Frankfurt, Germany, and a student from Bangkok, Thailand are enrolled in CHS. Living with students from CHS, sophomore Pascal Starck is staying for two quarters, whereas junior Kittipoj JirapongSanaurka is staying for the whole school year.

Both were excited to come to America and to be students at CHS.

“I was a bit nervous because it’s my first time having to be away from my family for a long period of time,” said Starck. It was hard for both of the students to leave their family behind.

After several of days, each started to get comfortable with the school and the atmosphere around it. They started to make friends in school and exchange usernames for Snapchat and Instagram to stay connected with each other.

Although, the school curriculum in CHS are really different from their school, they like having A/B days and 4 class periods on each day.

“I like how we have A/B days in America; it helps me focus and remember the lessons that the teachers taught us from last class,” commented Starck.

Both of them are participating in fall Sports to gain more friends. Starck is on JV soccer team and Kittipoj JirapongSanaurka, aka Sun, is participating in the badminton team. Both are very talented and smart.

Starck has scored two goals for the JV soccer, leading the team with a record of 4-2-1.  JirapongSanaurka is also very athletic, he is a single player in the badminton team and has a record of  6-1.

“I am getting comfortable in school by being part of the badminton team. I am making more friends everyday. And I wanted to try out for the basketball team in the winter,” said JirapongSanaurka.

JirapongSanaurka also said that the classes in Thailand are much harder and more challenging. Students have more work/homework with a limited time to submit it because they have eight classes a day. At CHS, he now has more time do his homework because of A/B days and having just four classes a day. He also have to take a transit(train) to go to school in Thailand because the school doesn’t provide them school buses. But he said that with the school buses here in America, he doesn’t have to worry about getting up earlier to catch the train to school.

CHS has a tradition of hosting exchange students. Last spring, CHS was visited by sixteen high school students from Yokosuka, Japan. They also stayed with students from CHS in order for both Americans and the Japanese students to learn about each other’s cultures. Both the Japanese students and students from CHS got to learn and share a educational experience while also having lots of fun.

It’s a great opportunity and experience for both of the exchange student to be part of the CHS community.They are having a great time right now in CHS, and JirapongSanaurka is planning to come back in America for college after he finishes his high school in Thailand.

• Exchange Students in CHS

• Exchange Students in CHS

• Exchange Students in CHS

• Exchange Students in CHS

• Exchange Students in CHS

• Exchange Students in CHS

• Exchange Students in CHS

• Exchange Students in CHS

• Exchange Students in CHS

• Exchange Students in CHS

Exchange Students in CHS