Donald Schaub Makes a Splash

Donald Schaub, a 1962 graduate of Catonsville High School, won an honorable CHS alumni award for his dedication to coaching Catonsville’s youth.

As a student, Schaub participated in soccer, indoor track and wrestling. His recent return to CHS brought back a feeling of nostalgia.

“I remember running through the hallways for indoor track on days when it was super cold outside,” he reminisced.

Although Schaub loved growing up and raising a family in Catonsville, he encourages every student to get out and explore the world.

“It is important to branch out and get away from your roots—get to know what is going on in the world,” he advised.

Schaub dedicates his time to volunteering as the swim team coach for Five Oaks Swim Club and also coaches at the local YMCA. Schaub’s coaching career began when his daughters found an interest in swimming. Now 73 years old, Schaub has more than 40 years of coaching experience under his belt.

“Volunteering as a coach got me through my life. It’s a great feeling helping people, and everyone needs something like that in their life,” Schaub added.

His lengthy coaching career even earned him a swim meet named in his honor: the Don Schaub Invitational Swim Meet held each summer at Five Oaks. The competition began as a small local meet where less-experienced swimmers could gain confidence. Now, the meet hosts more than 400 swimmers from seven different teams across a variety of divisions.

Schaub offered some advice for current students.

“Never say can’t,” he advised. “Do the best you can in school, and learn to speak in front of people. Simply take time to enjoy life.”

When Schaub’s athletes find themselves discouraged, he often motivates the swimmers by reminding them that people across the world constantly face difficulties, yet they still manage to push themselves. He reminds his swimmers that personal growth comes from overcoming the obstacles they face.

• Donald Schaub Makes a Splash

How to Keep Your New Year’s Resolutions

• Donald Schaub Makes a Splash

Ugly Sweaters of 2017

• Donald Schaub Makes a Splash

Expectations for the Last Jedi

• Donald Schaub Makes a Splash

Crazy Candy Cane Flavors Take Over Christmas

• Donald Schaub Makes a Splash

Preview & Predictions for Star Wars Episode 8: The Last Jedi

• Donald Schaub Makes a Splash

Alum Visit for 3rd Annual Career Day

• Donald Schaub Makes a Splash

The Journey with Braces

• Donald Schaub Makes a Splash

Best Places to Eat on Frederick Road

• Donald Schaub Makes a Splash

How to Do Tgiving Vegan-Style

• Donald Schaub Makes a Splash

Spirit Week 2017 Recap

Donald Schaub Makes a Splash