Season Hopes for Varsity Baseball

Patrick Brennan, Staff

As the weather starts to warm up and pollen fills the air, the Varsity baseball team begins to play as well. The team is looking forward to the new season after an exciting 2016 campaign which ended in the regional finals with a 0-1 loss. Now that the season is beginning, hope for a county championship, and even a second state championship, is in the air. With the preseason rankings putting Catonsville at 9th in the state, the players feel it as well.

“I think the team will produce an extraordinary run, I expect a state championship,” exclaimed sophomore shortstop Cody Brick.  This is his first year and one of two sophomores on the varsity team.

He is not the only with the ambitions on the team; there are many that agree with him, and they have similar thoughts on the matter.

“If we don’t win county, it will be because of injuries,” exclaimed senior second basemen Jake Getzendanner.

This is not all hype though; according to Baltimore Sun, the Comets have a couple of players on the state watch list including Jake Getzendanner, Kevin Dietz, and Matt Moulthrop.

Now for a team to be strong and go far in the post-season, the team needs a great leader.

“Kevin Dietz, all the way,” stated junior Adam Grace.

Kevin is a senior and starting catcher for the Comets; he normally hits fourth and holds one of the most powerful bats in the lineup. He is one of the most skilled players according to his colleagues.

Baseball is not a game won by one person though; the ability to get along with everyone is big. The chemistry of a team can end up altering the outcome of the season.

“We go out to dinner every Monday; we know each other like brothers,” stated  Jake Getzendanner.  Most of the seniors have been playing with each other for last four years.

With a roster that includes a couple of former all county players and returning starter, many coaches would be thrilled.

“I want to be competitive in every game and contend for county, regions, and states this year,” said head coach Hambor.

That still is not an easy task to complete when the top of the county against Eastern Tech, Dulaney, and Perry Hall all are rivals, and all of them beat last year’s Comet squad.

The Comets also may face other big teams such as Bel-Air in the post season. Bel-Air is the defending 4A state champs, are ranked 7th in the state by the Baltimore Sun, and were the team to end the season of the Comets last year.

So as the season gets under way and the players  strive to achieve their goals and go far into the playoffs, coach Hambor has a message for the supporters of the team.

“We do appreciate the fans that come out to the games and support us,” he explained.

The teams schedule can be found in Room 313, or online at www.countysportzone.com

• Season Hopes for Varsity Baseball

• Season Hopes for Varsity Baseball

• Season Hopes for Varsity Baseball

• Season Hopes for Varsity Baseball

• Season Hopes for Varsity Baseball

• Season Hopes for Varsity Baseball

• Season Hopes for Varsity Baseball

Confessions of a Chapstick Junkie

• Season Hopes for Varsity Baseball

National Champs in Your Own Backyard: Bennett Blazers

• Season Hopes for Varsity Baseball

One American Perspective From Another

• Season Hopes for Varsity Baseball

Rogue One, Meh

Season Hopes for Varsity Baseball