Students Balancing School and Sports

Rediet Girma, Staff

Balancing school and sports can be really stressful and difficult. Keeping up a 2.0 can seem fairly easy, but for some athletes that can be a challenge. Athletes have to keep up their GPA in order to play any sport. If you don’t keep up a 2.0 by the end of the quarter you are automatically kicked of the team with no exceptions. Coaches are informed of their athletes’ grades every quarter.

“[Coach T.O.] doesn’t play when it comes to our grades; he does whatever he can to help us keep our grades up,” said JV basketball player Deonte Dunlap

Athletes are expected to keep their grades up no matter. Some coaches do what they can so their athletes aren’t slacking on their grades.  JV basketball coach Teron Owens does the most to keep his boys in the right path. He encourages them by going to study hall before every practice and getting some homework done. Although the requirement to stay on a team is a 2.0 , Owens believes his athletes can’t have below a 2.5. If his boys get below  a 2.5, he makes them run.

“I want my boys to get good grades because your grades are way more important than sports will ever be, ”  explained Coach Owens.

Encouraging the athletes to do better in school can make a very big impact. If one athlete can’t keep their grades up that can affect the whole team. It hurts the team in many ways. Losing a player can mean losing a game or maybe even a championship. That can ruin the relationship between the team as well.

“First off, the goal isn’t a 2.0, that is the absolute minimum. By no means is an athlete’,s goal a 2.0,”  stressed JV and Varsity wrestling coach Eric Warm.

Developing a relationship with athletes is really big as well. If the athletes can trust the coach, they will come to them when they need guidance academically and socially. Not having a relationship with the athletes can definitely impact the student. They might feel like they don’t have anyone to help them, and they just give up , but if coaches reassure them that they can come when they need help, that can make all the difference in the world.

“I have developed a relationship with my athletes; they know they can come to me when they’re struggling, and I wouldn’t get upset or judge them,”  said Coach Owens.

Athletes also stay afterschool before practice so they can go to their teachers and get whatever work they need to finish/makeup. Some coaches check up with some of their athletes teachers to see if everything is good behavior and academic-wise.

Teron Owens makes sure his athletes know that so they don’t slack off because their teachers will let him know.  His players know this, too.

“We can’t get D’s on our interim, or our playing time is cut,” explained JV basketball player Jene Sample.

• Students Balancing School and Sports

• Students Balancing School and Sports

• Students Balancing School and Sports

• Students Balancing School and Sports

• Students Balancing School and Sports

• Students Balancing School and Sports

• Students Balancing School and Sports

• Students Balancing School and Sports

• Students Balancing School and Sports

• Students Balancing School and Sports

Students Balancing School and Sports