Volleyball Team Reflects on Winning Season

Senior Kateri Wess and Junior Nicole Beautz dive for the ball in a winning game against Chesapeake High School.

Sarah Westrick and Emme Shifflett

A few weeks after Catonsville’s loss at the regional volleyball game, the buzz around volleyball season has worn down, and the girls now have some time to reflect on their last big game.

On November 11, Sherwood High School took the title of regional champions over Catonsville in three sets, and went on to beat Arundel High School to become 4A State Finalists. They eventually lost the 4A State Championship to Northwest High School.

Catonsville’s volleyball team has had an overwhelmingly strong season, however, with a record of 13-1.

The only match lost in the regular season was to Towson High School, with a very close score. They also changed Catonsville’s record and beat Dulaney High School, which none of the players on the current varsity team have ever done.

“This is the most successful season I’ve had as a coach here so I was very happy with them and proud of their accomplishments,” said coach Amanda Kaufman.

The seniors did a great job stepping up the game after losing four amazing previous seniors from the 2015-16 team.

“[The season] turned out a lot better than any of us expected…it was really nice to end my senior year on a good note,” senior and Second Team All-County player Amber Lally affirmed.

“Going into [the season], I wasn’t expecting to do well because we lost a lot of seniors from last season,” senior Catherine Ott added.

Some of the girls argued that they could have played a lot better than they did on the night against Sherwood.

“[The regional game against Sherwood] was different because the competition was a lot higher than anything we’d experienced in the past, but we kind of fell apart and definitely didn’t play as well as we could have,” Lally shared.

Besides that last game, the team agreed that they had a great overall season.

“I was really satisfied with how the season went; I wouldn’t change much about it except maybe the Towson match that we lost because we were one game away from making counties,” said senior Mitra Harrison.

So what’s on the agenda already for next season?

Some may be worried about next year’s team with so many talented players graduating, but Harrison doesn’t feel the same way.

“I actually think that they’ll do fine because I know we have two great hitters, and there’s a lot of people coming up from JV who have a lot of potential. There’s going to be a lot of having to work upwards, but I think we’ll be ok,” she explained.

“They have big shoes to fill, so I’m excited to see who comes out next season,” coach Kaufman said.

• Volleyball Team Reflects on Winning Season