Catonsville High School’s Sport Accomplishments and Records

Rediet Girma, Staff

img_0722

Every school has records, and records, as the cliché goes, are meant to be broken. CHS is no exception. Some records have held for years, but new ones have been set, too.

Behavior specialist Terrence Owens was a part of the CHS basketball team who won the state championships in 1992. The game was a buzzer beater with a score of 76-90. They graduated with the third leading score for basketball in the state.

The game also helped “T.O.” Owens to go to Loyola College, a Division 1 college, on a full scholarship.

“The happiness that flowed through my veins were indescribable; I also felt much pain and excitement,” Mr. Owens commented.

Catonsville’s football team had many great players who worked hard together and communicated well to get to their goal. They’ve had a great coach to help motivate them as well as push them to work their hardest.

Jamal Johnson was one of those great players that broke records. Johnson had the most receptions and touchdown all season. He had 74 receptions and 17 touchdowns.

“I was the happiest person ever at that moment because that was my goal all season I worked hard and I’m glad it payed off,” he explained.

On the team, there were two players that worked nicely together, Jamal Johnson and Danny Terzi. Terzi mostly threw to Johnson. Terzi also broke a record in football for passing. He had 304 ATT (attempts), 144 COMP (completions) and 28 touchdowns.

“I was really happy for them; they were both really good players that work hard. They weren’t even trying to break the record which makes it even better,” coach Richard Hambor explained.

CHS’s soccer team also had accomplishments over the years. They have shown themselves to be quick and determined. The varsity boys soccer team’s record was 15-2 last year. They only lost two games in the whole season. That set a record, but the team feels like it could do even better this year.

“I feel we can do better than just 15 wins , we could win States,” mentioned junior David Owens.

The Comet girls basketball team has also proven to be hardworking. JV Girls ended their season with 9-2. They worked hard all season to get to championships. Varsity girls ended their season with 23-3. While not record-breaking or –setting, this were great accomplishments for both teams.

“It was bittersweet because some of those games we lost could have been wins, but overall the season was on of the best we have had in years!!!” Explained Destiny Bennett

Track and Field also has runners that have broken records. Senior Anthony Owens broke the record in long jumps and was actually In the top 100.

“I was so happy , I ran to my father in excitement;  I was having mixed feelings I was happy but also in pain from all the jumping and running,” explaineimg_0819d Anthony Owens

• Catonsville High School’s Sport Accomplishments and Records

Confessions of a Chapstick Junkie

National Champs in Your Own Backyard: Bennett Blazers

One American Perspective From Another

Rogue One, Meh