Brendan Pappas, Staff Writer

When the Marvel Cinematic Universe released the first trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy back in 2014, many fans of today’s box office powerhouse took a step back and said “what?” This was a superhero team that was very little known, and no one knew if a film involving them would be good. However, the movie blew expectations clean out of the water, raking in $773.3 million worldwide and dazzling fans with visually-stunning space action that made the older generation reminisce about the golden age of Star Wars and Star Trek, and gave the newer generation a little taste of what that was like.

Guardians of the Galaxy was immediately considered by MCU fans to be one of the company’s most entertaining films, and more was demanded. That did not take long, as a sequel was instantly put into the works, and the team was confirmed for the heavily-anticipated Avengers: Infinity War. When 2017 rolled around, the sequel to one of 2014’s biggest hits became one of this year’s most desired films. And after a long wait, comic book junkies were given exactly what they had been looking for.

All five Guardians return in this action-packed sequel, delivering just as many thrill-ride space battles and belly laughs as before. The main plot revolves around lead character Peter “Starlord” Quill (Chris Pratt), who is confronted by his estranged father Ego (Kurt Russell), and begged for a chance to do things over. The sub-plot focuses on Peter’s adopted father Yondu (Michael Rooker), being convinced by the “Golden High Priestess” Ayesha (Elizabeth Debicki) to find the Guardians and bring them to her.

Vol. 2‘s reviews have not been as raving as its predecessor but are still very favorable. The film holds an 82% rating on both Rotten Tomatoes and IMDb, as well as a “generally favorable” score of 67 on Metacritic. However, these are incredibly low. Vol. 2 is packed with everything that made Vol. 1 as outstanding as it was. It has funnier jokes and more interesting characters, including hilarious toilet humor and planets with the ability to turn into humans. A trip to the theater to see this movie is something that comic book lovers cannot miss out on.

The actors perfect their comedic roles to the same extent that they did before. But with a completely different conflict to solve this time, they are easier to sympathize with. Pratt’s ability to craft an emotional character is put on fantastic display, as the pain Peter has felt through not knowing his parents makes the viewer realize that there is more to the eye when it comes to the bounty hunter. The relationship between Gamora (Zoe Saldana) and Nebula (Karen Gillan) is also emphasized, and Drax’s (Dave Bautista) love for his family is beautifully portrayed as well.

The character that everyone was really looking forward to, however, was Baby Groot (who is voiced by Fast and Furious star Vin Diesel while Krystian Godlewski provides the motion capture). It was shown at the end of Vol. 1 that the beloved tree-like creature could be reborn from his leftover scraps. Since he was the comic relief of 2014, Groot was used and abused in Vol. 2‘s trailers. His adorableness and care for other characters mixes with his lack of ability to fight, making him even more enjoyable than before.

Maybe the most interesting fact about the movie is that it has five post-credit scenes. They’re too good to be spoiled, so let’s put this way: they foreshadow everything else that’s needed to be known while providing viewers with a few more laughs. There is also the as-usual cameo appearance by Marvel’s co-founder Stan Lee, and, while this won’t be spoiled either, it may have finally confirmed a fan theory that people have been discussing for many years.

The future of MCU films derives greatly from the events of this film. While the Avengers and Guardians have yet to appear in the same movie, it has been proven that they do exist in the same universe, with the incorporation of the “Mad Titan” Thanos and the six Infinity Stones. The Avengers are going to be leaving earth soon. That starts this November, when Thor, Hulk and Doctor Strange appear together in Thor: Ragnarok. There have also been rumors of a Hulk vs. Groot fight, or maybe even a Groot solo movie.

The MCU has released 15 total movies so far, and they have many more coming out in the next few years. Everyone can probably agree that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is not the best Marvel movie. There are many others that are worthy of that title, including Iron Man, The Avengers, and Captain America: Civil War. But Vol. 2 provides more of the exciting action that has been brought to fans in the past nine years, and it is and incredibly entertaining sequel that is just as good as, if not better than, Vol. 1.

• Marvel Struts Flashy New “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2”

Confessions of a Chapstick Junkie