Jami Citko and Vicki Zhang

Mother’s Day: A day to appreciate and  really thank mothers everywhere for all their kindness. Although we should probably thank mothers every day, Mother’s Day is the official day to honor all that mothers do for us. Many of our mothers deserve the world, which is impossible, but there are still ways to show your mom how much you love her without breaking your back (or your bank account). Here are some easy, meaningful gifts that a mother would love.

What I Love About Mom by Me Book
This is the perfect way to express your love and respect to your mom without spending a ton. It really is the thought that counts, and although you aren’t spending money you are spending time, which may be even more valuable. Listing the reasons why you love your mom will hopefully bring a smile to her face and maybe even tears to her eyes. It may seem cheesy to you, but a meaningful gift like this will show how much you really care about her.

Makeup
Even if you don’t wear makeup, a lot of moms do, which makes it a great gift. Try to pay some attention to what makeup she wears daily, and, ,if you notice that she’s low on something buy her a refill. If you don’t feel like snooping in your mom’s makeup drawer, get her some nice eyeshadow or lip gloss that she can try. Even if she doesn’t end up wearing it, she’ll appreciate it.

Mom, I Love U Mug
Mugs are probably the simplest gift you can that will actually be useful to you. They’re very affordable, can be found almost anywhere, and are all different. If your mom drinks coffee or tea in the morning, or even if she doesn’t, a mug will definitely be put to use at some point. A mug that says “I Love You” on it will literally show your love and the effect will come across every time she uses it. Can’t find one that says “I Love You”? That’s okay–just try to choose a design that looks nice and make her smile, no matter what is.

Flowers
It’s a classic gift, I know, but one that never gets old. Flowers are nice to look at and can usually be found at a reasonable price. Plus, if there was ever a perfect time to buy flowers, it would be around Mother’s Day when they’ve all bloomed and stores are trying to get rid of them before they wilt. Try to include a nice note with your flowers, too, which adds a lot of meaning to your gift without requiring you to spend a lot of money. This is probably the easiest way to just show your mom how much you care.

Make Breakfast
Another classic one, but once again very meaningful. Some moms are too busy in the morning to make breakfast or just don’t get around to it, but cooking your mom a nice breakfast will show your love and doesn’t require a trip to the store. It does require some basic cooking skills, of course, but,, if all else fails you can always google how to scramble an egg. This gift may not last long, but it will hopefully put your mom in a good mood for the rest of the day and is a way of showing your mom that she doesn’t always have to take care of you—you can take care of her sometimes, too. Sometimes the best way to show appreciation for someone is by giving them a break and returning the favor.

• Five Thoughtful-but-Easy Mother’s Day Gifts

Confessions of a Chapstick Junkie