Emily Vacin and Lauryl Thomas

It can be tough being a President Trump supporter while living in a state where it feels like no one agrees with your views, and there’s so much hate towards him.  Students who support him, or at least want to wait and give a him a chance to prove  himself, are

afraid to speak their views because they will think they will get hated for supporting Trump.

“I believe that Trump is truly trying to make the country a better place, and it’s hard to think that when everyone thinks he will ruin the country,” said sophomore Brandon Hernandez.

Some supporters find it hard to speak their mind because they are afraid of being bullied or criticized  harshly by their fellow students or even their teachers.

“I don’t talk to people about politics because I feel persecuted, and I feel like they might beat me up after school since people take their hatred to extremes,” said sophomore Madeline Stanger.

Maryland is one of the most Democratic states, being only twenty-six percent  Republican. Trump supporters are very much  in the minority.

There many ways  for teachers to protect their students and encourage them to participate in the political conversations.

“How I protect students and help them feel safe by is making sure their voice is heard and not say anything that will make them feel bad. Also if they do feel threated, my advice is go to guidance and talk about it,” explained Social Studies teacher Kesari Petroff.

Social Studies department chair Courtney Fleming agrees.

“There are ways students that support Trump that can fit in. For example, always make sure you support your opinion  with facts and don’t take it personally [when someone disagrees],” she recommended.

Students should feel safe to practice their first amendment rights in schools and not feel threatened. They should be able to say what they think and feel and not be scared to get hurt or “hated on.”

“I think it is hard living in a democratic state while you support Trump because not a lot of people agree with you, and if you don’t agree with them, they treat you really rudely. I feel threatened about speaking my mind” said sophomore Emily Talbott.

Students who don’t believe others’ views should be respectful toward opinions and tolerate others’ views. Just because they don’t agree doesn’t mean they need to be nasty.

One of our school’s policies to make everyone feel comfortable in our school environment.

“Demonstrate kindness, tolerance, and a positive attitude. Profanity and other forms of abusive and threatening speech are not acceptable,” states the CHS policy.

Some people feel so susceptible that they don’t feel comfortable and they want to leave.

“I want to move because it’s not fair living in a place where you cant say really anything that won’t offend anyone in some way,” commented Stanger.

There’s a lot of people who really believe that Trump will help this country, and that’s why they support him, even if they make not really like him in general.

“I don’t really like Trump because I think he is racist, but I think he is a good businessman; in order to be a good president, he needs to know a lot about politics and know how to communicate with other countries,” said sophomore Deandre Jones.

They also support him because they think he will improve the country and help with the nation’s debt.

“I think Trump will create more jobs, grow the economy, and reduce the debt we’re in, even though I don’t exactly agree with him,” said sophomore Iqra Fatima.

• Supporting Trump in a Democratic State

Confessions of a Chapstick Junkie