Varsity Field Hockey Shoots for Counties

“Just because a team beat us once, doesn’t mean they will be able to do it again. ” – Allison Campbell

Processed with VSCO with hb2 preset

Stefana Avara, Staff

For the CHS varsity girls field hockey team, the prospects of going to States are on the near horizon. And this is not an unfamiliar situation. In 2013, the CHS field hockey won counties, coming back from an eight-point deficit against the previous champions, Hereford High school.

This year, the team is looking for a repeat of some team members’ freshman year success.

“Beating Hereford my freshman year was probably the best feeling I’ve ever felt. I think the whole team is ready this year to conquer them again,” said starting senior defender Molly Miller.

Coached by CHS Science teacher Carrie McKenna-Wilson and Catonsville Middle health teacher Barb Bates, the varsity field hockey team consists of 19 players, seven of whom are seniors.

This year’s seniors include: Allison Campbell, Ashley Bates, Brittany Stevens, Ashlyn Cunningham, Stefana Avara, Meghan Herilla, and Molly Miller.

With seven seniors on the team, the coaches are looking forward to seeing how the team adapts next year.

“I have faith in the future of Comet field hockey. Even though seven seniors are leaving, we have a bunch of underclassman who have great skills,” said Bates, a senior midfielder and captain. Her co-captains include Campbell and Stevens, both holding starting spots on the comet’s offensive front line.

Losing all three of the starting defenders last year made coach Bates and McKenna-WIlson nervous at first. However, the new starting trio, consisting of seniors Miller and Jones, along with junior Zoe Waddell, have really stepped up.

“Our new line of defenders have done a great job shutting off the threats. This year we have really focused on channeling; we don’t necessarily need to get the ball immediately, we just need to be able to push the player with the ball to the outside,” McKenna-Wilson explained.

Also stepping up to the plate this year: Sydney Keagle. Although she might be the only freshman on the team, she is a starter for the Comet’s frontline.

“I was a little nervous at first being the only freshman and all, but the whole team has been really kind and supportive since day one,” Keagle remarked.

Sophomore Kelsey Jones also plays a huge role in the success of the team.

“Her stick skills are amazing, everything for her looks so natural,” complimented sophomore midfielder, Lydia Newman

The team’s overall strong skills and positive mindset have kept them hopeful despite multiple losses already this season. The entire team is determined to go to states this year.

Campbell remarked, “Just because a team beat us once, doesn’t mean they will be able to do it again. We’ll be seeing them at counties.”