Bigger is Not Always Better

HUIE LUCAS

HUIE LUCAS

Lucas Huie, Staff

“Nearly two out of every three adults are overweight” says The New York Times.  So to improve the self-esteem of those suffering from obesity, society seems to have created the Fat Acceptance Movement.  The Fat Acceptance movement is an internet uprising with the intention of improving the well-being and self image of those who suffer from obesity.  It does this by sparking internet trends like #everysizeisbeautiful and #fatacceptance with the hopes of allowing obese people to think that their obesity is something that one should embrace and come to peace with, while completely neglecting the numerous health consequences.  Instead, it rejects the idea of any need for self-improvement in those who need it, giving people the idea that being unhealthy is OK and accepted.

Obesity is a thing that I, personally, have struggled with since elementary school.  I have been bullied and put down for my weight for ages and understand how difficult it is.  I have been able to see and recognize the numerous negative health effects in myself, and it wasn’t until recently I started committing to self-improvement.

The majority of people who follow this trend tend to do so because it is morally the right thing to do.  Neglecting health consequences and encouraging an unhealthy lifestyle is not a viable option.  People need to think more long term, as supposed to in-the-moment reactions.

Americans have been stereotyped for being obese since the 80s.  It is our jobs as American citizens to stop this.  We should not encourage someone to systematically blow off exercise and self-improvement especially if that person desperately needs it.  It is our job to make America a healthier America not to block or slow down its growth as a country.

Now I do not believe that American citizens should go out of their way to fat shame and bully those who are suffering from obesity.  That is a horrible way to approach this subject matter, and it does nothing except victimize those who are already suffering and bolsters the preexisting American obesity stereotype.  We should, however, promote a healthier lifestyle and make American citizens more aware of the health risks that come from obesity.  We cannot, simply enumerate the health risks; we need to explain the severity within each one giving citizens a fuller grasp and understanding of the gravity of the situation.  This will dissuade the public from brushing off self-improvement.

We cannot allow America to continue to blow off self-improvement.  We need to elicit self-improvement from within.  We cannot keep shooting ourselves in the foot under the justification of a boosted self-image.  We have to improve.

• Bigger is Not Always Better

• Bigger is Not Always Better

• Bigger is Not Always Better

• Bigger is Not Always Better

• Bigger is Not Always Better

• Bigger is Not Always Better

• Bigger is Not Always Better

• Bigger is Not Always Better

• Bigger is Not Always Better

• Bigger is Not Always Better

Bigger is Not Always Better