Author Recommendation: Toni Morrison

Rose Benny, Staff

Toni Morrison is an editor, writer, a Nobel prize winner, and a literary critic. Born on February 18, 1931 to George Wofford and Ramah Morrison, Morrison has published many novels which are known for their complex themes, exquisite language, and detailed African-American characters. Some of her novels are The Bluest Eye, Sula, Song of Solomon, Beloved, Jazz, Love and A Mercy.

Morrison has contributed especially to the African-American community through her books which show the hardship and difficulties of being African-American.

Morrison’s first book The Bluest Eye (1970) was considered a  controversial book. The book is about a black girl who wants to be like the white girls, which was what aroused the controversies. According to Morrison, she was misunderstood as was the main character. Nonetheless, Morrison still continued to write and publish her next book Sula which was nominated for the American Book award. Sula is about two African-American women who learn to deal with discrimination and the hardships of being women.

Morrison became a professor at Princeton University where she continued to publish other books. As a recognition of her contributions to the writing field, Morrison received a Nobel prize in 1993, making her the first African-American woman to be selected for award.

Toni Morrison has done many other things to help people other than publishing books about the hardships of being an African-American. At a champion of the arts, Morrison boldly spoke out about the censorship after one her books was banned at a school.

“The thought that leads me to contemplate with dread the erasure of other voices, of unwritten novels, poems whispered or swallowed for fear of being overheard by the wrong people, outlawed languages flourishing underground, essayists’ questions challenging authority never being posed, unstaged plays, canceled films—that thought is a nightmare. As though a whole universe is being described in invisible ink,” Morrison said.

Toni Morrison is an impressive person who has voiced her opinion on discrimination, women’s rights, censorship and many other things.

“I love her!” English teacher Rachel explained. “She writes without pulling any punches.”

She is quite popular among the CHS teachers.

“Toni Morrison is the greatest living American writer, and Beloved is a rich and interesting novel that I thought my students would like. It’s an impressive work in women’s literature, and a voice that isn’t always heard in the classroom,” said STAT teacher Jo-Ellen O’ Dell.

The way Morrison writes her story lets the reader know the hardships of African-American, but it also let them experience it through Morrison’s precise vocabulary and detailed descriptions.

“I think great literature opens up new perspective to readers, and Toni Morrison writes great literature,”  said Ms. O’ Dell.

• Author Recommendation: Toni Morrison

• Author Recommendation: Toni Morrison

• Author Recommendation: Toni Morrison

• Author Recommendation: Toni Morrison

• Author Recommendation: Toni Morrison

• Author Recommendation: Toni Morrison

• Author Recommendation: Toni Morrison

Confessions of a Chapstick Junkie

• Author Recommendation: Toni Morrison

National Champs in Your Own Backyard: Bennett Blazers

• Author Recommendation: Toni Morrison

One American Perspective From Another

• Author Recommendation: Toni Morrison

Rogue One, Meh

Author Recommendation: Toni Morrison