Miss Peregrine: Oddly Dark, Yet Typical

Rose Benny, Staff

Being different doesn’t always have to be bad, and this is shown through the movie Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, a PG-13 movie Twentieth-Century Fox released this past fall.

The movie is based on a best-selling novel of the same title. Well-known actress Eva Green (Casino Royale) plays Miss Alma Peregrine and Asa Butterfield plays Jacob Portman.

After 16-year old Jacob Portman sees his grandfather killed by a mysterious monster, he visits  Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. At the children’s home Jacob realizes that the world isn’t how he usually sees it and that there are “peculiar kids” like, Emma Bloom who can float in air and can breathe and create liquid bubbles under water.

The movie is like most young adult movies, good and evil battle and it contains your typical heroes and villains. However, something that stood out the most in this movie compared to other young adult movies is that it is very grim and disturbing. For example, one of the teenage character remakes toys with disembodied organs, animates them, and watches them fight till one dies. There are also villains eating children’s eyeballs and it isn’t surprising to show people without any eyes.

Although the movie is rated PG- 13, it does have violence and mild sexual scenes. Guns and cross bows are used, and characters participate in morbid experiments and death threats. There are scenes when the characters strip down to their underwear, and an invisible boy removes all of his clothes (although, obviously, there is no nudity involved)

The movie did have different and unusual elements in it, but overall, it’s still a teen flick. There is the usual protagonist who is trying to save the day. The usual villains, who fail to do what they wanted to do, and it has a happy ending like most movies. In general, the movie just seemed very messy, and hard to understand. It has many unexplained inconsistencies; for example,  first in the movie it is said multiple times that Jacob has no powers, but when the children’s home starts getting attacked, Jacob suddenly has the power to see the monsters.

While the movie is interestingly dark, it isn’t much fun, and there isn’t much that makes you want to watch the movie.

• Miss Peregrine: Oddly Dark, Yet Typical

Miss Peregrine: Oddly Dark, Yet Typical