Deferred Denied or Admitted: The End Results of the College Application Process

Stefana Avara, Staff

Every Spring, high school seniors across the world go home and anxiously check their mailboxes, looking for the letter that will determine the fate of their next four years of education. Many students refer to the college application process that typically takes place in the fall as “the most stressful part of senior year.” After hours spent perfecting applications and resumes, when students hear back from the colleges they applied to, they will either be deferred, denied or admitted. Students here at CHS have experience receiving all three admissions decisions.

“I heard that my number one college sent out their decision letters on a Friday. I waited all weekend for my letter; I even looked up the average delivery time for an envelope traveling from Washington D.C to Baltimore because I was so anxious, ” said senior Mario Sto. Domingo.

Being denied from a school can be discouraging, but remember that you are not alone; millions of students get denied from colleges every year. Just this year alone, the University of Virginia denied more than 20,000 applicants.

“I got denied from UVA, and it was really disappointing. I loved the school, and it was my top choice,” said one disappointed senior who received a rejection letter from the University of Virginia.

Deferrals, another type of response colleges send, do not mean that the student will be unable to attend the university. It just means that you might have to wait longer for an acceptance or denial.

Each year hundreds of students apply to colleges that they have little interest in. Remember that one college you applied to after saying, “I liked the school but I didn’t love it, I guess I should apply anyways right?” You might receive an acceptance letter from that college and then decide not to attend. Since you will not be attending, a student who received a deferral from that same school will receive an acceptance letter.

“I was pretty surprised and kind of let down when I got deferred from one of my top choices. Now I have to wait until April 1 for my new decision, and it is killing me,” said senior Gwen Jensen.

The same process happens in the reverse as well; a student who does get accepted into your dream college, but then later decides not to attend, can open a spot for you or another deferred student.

“When I got deferred, I kept saying to myself ‘I still have a chance.’ I waited a few months to hear back from the college, and it was so nerve-wrecking. I recently received an updated admissions letter informing me that I got in!” explained senior Dim Lun.

Students at CHS are pretty familiar with receiving acceptance letters. According to the Guidance Department here at CHS, the senior class has received more than 500 acceptances cumulatively so far.

Senior Sam Bower was extremely relived to receive an acceptance letter from his top college saying, “Colorado College was my number one school, and it was such a relief to find out that I was accepted into their class of 2021. It alleviated a lot of stress from my senior year and proved that my previous three years of hard work in high school paid off.”

• Deferred Denied or Admitted: The End Results of the College Application Process