Cinderella Produced as Spring Musical

Lucas Huie and Nicole Gunderson

The spring musical for this year is Rodgers and Hammerstein’s “Cinderella.” Love it or hate it, the musical has had a record number of tryouts, with almost 30 people cut during the casting process. While some students say that they don’t like Cinderella because it’s a cliché or that there are just better choices, others love it and think it’s an excellent choice for the school.

Others just want to be a part of a show, any show.

“I’m just along for the ride. I don’t like to think of ifs or whats,” said sophomore Peter Juengst, who was casted as Prince Charming and is extremely excited to be apart of the show.

But others have strong, negative opinions.

“I hate it. I think it wasn’t the best choice for ensemble, but we might be able to make it work,” said sophomore Kate Lawrence.  She was cast as an ensemble member and has mixed feelings about “Cinderella” being the choice for the year.

But others cheer the choice.

“When I heard about it I was like *groan,* but then I realized it was the Rodgers and Hammerstein version, and it made me feel better cause I like the  show and I really like the music,”  said senior Lauren Alberg.  She was cast as Cinderella and feels optimistic about the outcome of the show.

Many students were unsure about the musical choice when it was released; people seemed to want “Grease” or “Legally Blonde,” a show like the well-known “Hairspray” of last year. “Cinderella” was a let down at first for some students this year since they found this year’s show to be pretty unknown and unexciting.

What many students don’t know about the theater program is how the decision of what show to put on each year is made. The teachers in charge of the casting and directing put many things into consideration when choosing the musical (budget, talent base, popularity, and time constraints), but hardly ever follow student suggestion.

“I might not always get you the play you want, but I’ll get you the play the school needs,” explained director of the shows and English teacher Lauren Gill.

Everyone agrees, “Hairspray” was amazing. The auditorium was packed, overflowing, and people were turned away at the door.  It was a theater program’s dream come true. Ms. Gill agreed, saying “There’ll never be another ‘Hairspray;’ that was a perfect storm.”

Most students involved in the spring musical’s production seem optimistic for the outcome of the show and feel that the school can pull it off.  Whether the students agree with the show or not, it’s an almost guarantee that everyone will have fun producing it, and it will ultimately turn out well. That’s the theatre tradition at CHS, after all.

• Cinderella Produced as Spring Musical

Tips and Tricks for your Senior Interview

• Cinderella Produced as Spring Musical

Tips on How to Fill Out a Perfect Bracket

• Cinderella Produced as Spring Musical

• Cinderella Produced as Spring Musical

• Cinderella Produced as Spring Musical

• Cinderella Produced as Spring Musical

• Cinderella Produced as Spring Musical

Confessions of a Chapstick Junkie

• Cinderella Produced as Spring Musical

National Champs in Your Own Backyard: Bennett Blazers

• Cinderella Produced as Spring Musical

One American Perspective From Another

• Cinderella Produced as Spring Musical

Rogue One, Meh

Cinderella Produced as Spring Musical