Is President Trump a Role Model for Catonsville Students?

Rayner Reinhardt, Staff

The role of the president of the United States stretches far beyond the typical “job description.” Of course, American government class may tell us that the president signs executive orders, enforces laws, and appoints justices, but they are also responsible for being the face of America.  

There has been discussion among Republican politicians about how President Trump reflects America. While his message continues to speak true to many, his mannerisms and blunt statements have caused controversy.  

Mitt Romney, former Republican governor of Massachusetts, has told NBC that he would never cite Trump as “a role model for [his] grandchildren.” Jeb Bush also has publicly expressed his concern that Trump is not a good role model for the nation’s children. 

However, there are a number of supporters who think Trump’s image is fit for a new America. He is, undeniably, a very different president than those who have served in the past couple decades. Trump does not come from politics; he does not characterize himself as one of those “dirty politicians…in Washington.” Many Americans admire this in his administration, claiming that he works for all Americans.  

Famed director Clint Eastwood praised Trump’s tendency to “[say] what’s on his mind [in a time when] everybody’s getting tired of political correctness.” Supporters think that Trump exemplifies a role model who is blunt and works for success.  

Sophomore Jakob Wilkens agrees, stating “[Trump] cares about how you act, your personality, and how hard you work…he fights for all Americans.”  

Other students have a different take on Trump’s image. 

“Trump is not at all a good role model for students. He acts like an immature high schooler making decisions based on his gut, but without reading anything or listening to advice. High school students shouldn’t follow his example,” sophomore Nate Frenkel said.  

Trump’s “CEO” approach to the presidency has led him to make a couple solely autonomous choices, some met with scrutiny or disapproval. Some of these decisions have led to the steep tariffs in Canada, the thirty-five untrue claims made at a rally in Nashville, and the continued pushing of “Spygate.” 

Senior Katie thor Straten also disapproves of President Trump’s image, saying, “I don’t think that he is a good role model for students because he promotes dishonesty and judgment of people who are different.”  

She mentions the skewed dollar amounts that Trump often presents to Americans. Critics may say that President Trump either doesn’t care enough to put the right numbers in his speeches, or he’s trying to brainwash the American public with misleading numbers.  

This is something that thor Straten sees as threatening to American youth: “We cannot grow up thinking that lying and being rude is how we get to the top. If all U.S. students try to succeed how Trump did, we will completely lose our sense of morality.”  

However, some see President Trump’s straightforward approach as a good thing. Trump has appealed to many voters because of the way he approaches the workforce and economy. His business background continues to build an administration that models a company more than a traditional government.  

“He’s a good role model because he cares about work, not your sexuality, race, religion,” Wilkens said.  

Trump’s unique story of conquering the White House also attracts supporters.  

“Trump worked hard for what he has; no one expected him to be able to win the election and look where we are now. He made success even against the odds,” senior Jonah Pahel said.  

Trump’s “all or nothing” approach has helped him before, but we continue to see the controversy in his decision-making. Certain statements or tweets are regularly met with disapproval, but Trump’s supporters stand firm by his leadership.