Make-up: Wear or Not?

It's obvious that make-up makes a difference in a student's appearance, but is it for everyone?

Rediet Girma and Emily Vacin

Make up can be a girl’s best friend. Girls wear make up for many reasons, whether it makes them feel more attractive, or they are covering blemishes or other things they see as flaws in their appearance.  Depending on the use, make up can be seen as good or bad. It all depends on the type of person the user is.

Some people believe that wearing makeup is bad because of the damage it can do to a face over time. Some believe it doesn’t hurt to wear make-up on a daily basis.

Many students see make-up as a way to help girls enhance their natural beauty.

“I wear make-up when I break out and I want to cover it up; it’s very helpful at times,” sophomore Tori Myers explained.

According to Bear Facts, some girls are discriminated against for wearing make-up. People say if you wear make-up it’s because you are insecure about yourself and how you look. That isn’t true at all. Women wear make-up because they like how it looks on them, not because they don’t like the way they look and not because they are insecure about themselves. This has been said about many females for many years.

“Instead of promoting the idea that perfection is reached by wearing makeup, parents and society should be raising little girls to take pride in their appearance and let them explore what that means to them,” article author Rachel Brauer explained.

In a different perspective, some females wear make-up for the simple fact that they are trying to meet society’s standards of beauty. All of the magazines and celebrities are always doing different things with their make-up and their beauty trends, so females keep up with that and believe they need to do what the celebrities do to be “beautiful.”

Women are surrounded by society’s expectation every day, and they receive mixed messages. When they don’t wear make-up, they are told they need make-up, or they aren’t pretty enough and when they wear make-up they are told they don’t have natural beauty and they are “fake”.

“Let your light shine, be free, don’t be restricted by society’s expectations of you. Walk and run the race that was designed for you and accept your flaws because that’s what make you you,” teacher Dana Quainoo said.

Women are so focused on their appearance and if they look good that they forget that what’s inside is what counts. Make-up doesn’t represent who you are as a person or your values.

Some females move out of their comfort zone and wear make-up to please others and to meet society’s expectations. Women need to realize that it’s their choice to wear make-up and it’s their choice not too.

Women have a double standard because they are told they need to wear make-up but when they do it’s not right.

“When they put too  much make up on, they look like a clown,” sophomore Bryan Deans expressed.

According to Nicki Swift ,some celebrities feel the same way. They believe that you shouldn’t be controlled by society’s expectations of beauty and to do what you want. Some even believe that wearing makeup is not worth it at all. They believe that you don’t need to wear make-up to be beautiful.

“Before I started my new album, I wrote a list of all the things that I was sick of,” singer Alicia Keys said in an essay she wrote for the website Lenny, “and one was how much women are brainwashed into feeling like we have to be skinny, or sexy, or desirable, or perfect.”

• Make-up: Wear or Not?

• Make-up: Wear or Not?

• Make-up: Wear or Not?

• Make-up: Wear or Not?

• Make-up: Wear or Not?

• Make-up: Wear or Not?

• Make-up: Wear or Not?

• Make-up: Wear or Not?

• Make-up: Wear or Not?

• Make-up: Wear or Not?

Make-up: Wear or Not?