What Makes a Good Teacher

Lauryl Thomas, Staff

What makes a teacher a good teacher? All the time students are complaining about why they dislike their teachers and how bad they teach, but what about the good teachers who really try and help us do our best?

What are some things that teachers do that students like, but won’t admit they like?

“What makes a good teacher to me is if [he/she] can handles the class well, is patient, doesn’t lose [his/her] temper, and helps students,” sophomore Nick Norton explained.

According to Rob Jenkins, a professor of English at Perimeter College of Georgia State University, a “good teacher” needs to be creative, prepared, organized, good-natured, and respectful.

“What makes a teacher a good teacher is that [he/she] connects to students well, can relate to problems, help them to do and be their best, and make learning fun,” sophomore Judeaiah Mason said.

According to research characteristics that make a teacher a good are encouraging students, taking their job professionally, and having broad knowledge of subject matter and knowledge of discipline.

“To be a good teacher, a teacher needs to be accepting and needs to be able to relate to different students and be creative,” World Language teacher Christina Buonomo commented.

A lot of students shared that they don’t like teachers who are strict or who give a lot of work, but that’s what helps students improve and what makes a good teacher to the school.

“What I like that teachers do that I wouldn’t admit to anyone is when they are strict about phones. I’m always on my phone and I get in trouble in other classes and when they tell us to put it away or take it away it keeps me out of trouble and I focus better,” sophomore Gabby Douglas said.

According to Educational Leadership, sixty-four percent of students think learning is fun and seventy-five percent enjoy learning new things. The reason why many students don’t like the way their teachers teach is because they don’t make the class interesting, and they talk too much.

“What I don’t like is teacher who atch over me a lot and alway tries to get me in trouble. I don’t think that stricter teachers are better because students aren’t going to like them and won’t connect to them and won’t want to learn,” senior Terelle Roberts said .

Students also don’t like when their teachers are monotone and don’t seem interested in what they’re doing. Students don’t like when the teachers make the class boring and not exciting.

“What I like about my teachers is when they are very charismatic and make learning fun and exciting. I don’t like when the teacher has a very flat tone and is still–it makes me sleepy and bored,” freshman Jessica McDivitt Commented.

Being a good teacher can be difficult and hard to accomplish; according to Teaching Community. There are a lot of traits a teacher needs and experiences a teacher would need to have to gain them.

“What I don’t like that my teachers do is when they over explain and talk too much,” sophomore Mason said.

To be a good teacher to students is having the right amount of strictness, work, and connecting to students well.

“I think a teacher needs to be patient with students and prepared for anything to happen because students can sometimes be a lot to handle,” mathematics teacher Diane Wack said.

• What Makes a Good Teacher

• What Makes a Good Teacher

• What Makes a Good Teacher

• What Makes a Good Teacher

• What Makes a Good Teacher

• What Makes a Good Teacher

• What Makes a Good Teacher

• What Makes a Good Teacher

• What Makes a Good Teacher

• What Makes a Good Teacher

What Makes a Good Teacher