High Schoolers Face Reality

Rediet Girma, Staff

High school can be an exciting place to be, from the football games to basketball games to prom, etc. But remember, it’s real life, not a TV show. Coming into high school, people might think it’s like every movie they have ever seen, in a modern building with flat screen TVs and all friends having the same class.

WRONG. What Hollywood shows high school to be is very different from reality. Everything is not perfect. Movies such as High School Musical , The Duff , Bring It On , Mean Girls, and 17 Again are just a few movies that give kids a unrealistic perception of high school.

“Coming into high school I thought it was going to be just like the movies, but I was in for a big disappointment,” freshman Parker Abdul explained.

Teachers notice the change in students coming from middle school when they realize high school isn’t what they imagined it would be. They see the students’ mood change very quickly. Students start to realize high school isn’t the same as it is portrayed in movies and start to dislike it or show a lack of interest.

“Students get disappointed when they realize high school isn’t all it’s cracked up to be, but once they get used to it they understand the reality of it” explained Behavior Specialist Teron Owens.

Teenagers might think that because they’re in high school now, they instantly have become cool based on what they have seen in movies. That isn’t always the case. If they are a freshman, they are the LEAST cool class in the entire school. The upper classmen don’t really pay attention to them, and the other freshman are the same people they went to school with last year.

“My freshman year, I realized people don’t really pay attention to you; they kind of just do their own thing. Everybody just ignores you,” sophomore Bryan Deans explained.

Coming into high school, people might think that the cafeteria food will be so much healthier and tastier than middle school, but in reality it’s all the same thing. Nothing has chang– just a couple more options that most still won’t like. Kids end up just grabbing a bottle of water and a bag of chips and that becomes their lunch for the rest of the year.

“I don’t like eating cafeteria food, plus it isn’t healthy. I started packing lunch after the first week of school. I wish they could have more choices of healthy foods,” sophomore Tori Myers complained.

Students new to high school might have the perception that in their first couple of weeks, they’re going to find a cute girl or boy who is in a couple of their classes and they’re going to hit it off immediately. But in reality, all the guys ignore the girls, and the freshman dating options are the same ones that they knew from middle school.

“My freshman year was nothing like what I saw on TV. I knew all the boys from last year; I was kind of disappointed. It wasn’t like I thought it would be. My sister even told me not to expect

• High Schoolers Face Reality

• High Schoolers Face Reality

• High Schoolers Face Reality

• High Schoolers Face Reality

• High Schoolers Face Reality

• High Schoolers Face Reality

• High Schoolers Face Reality

• High Schoolers Face Reality

• High Schoolers Face Reality

• High Schoolers Face Reality

High Schoolers Face Reality