Prom Dress Considerations

Sarah Westrick, Staff

It’s March, which means prom is quickly approaching! And many juniors who have not previously attended are excited for the opportunity to dress up and generally have a good time with their classmates.

However, being that this is their first time, many junior girls are new to the task of choosing an outfit for such an event. According theguardian.com, the average teen spent $919 on prom in 2015, a cost that many students at CHS are apprehensive about.

But despite being under this pressure to find a unique dress that also fits in their budget, many junior girls are coming up with untraditional ways to look their best.

Some, like Junior Brenna Walters, purchased their dresses from local outlets, rather than from large (and often pricey) prom and bridal boutiques.

“I was looking generally for something that wasn’t too fancy, and was simple but still appropriate for the occasion,” Walters said.

Walters added that she is not worried about others having the same dress, and that she was able to find the right one relatively easily.

“My dress was pretty inexpensive; I didn’t see any where I went for over $100,” she explained.

If cost is still an annoyance or a concern, a student could borrow a dress, like junior Nicky Beautz.

“Because there’s also senior prom next year, I asked one of my senior friends if I could check out her dress from last year,” Beautz said. “Borrowing was definitely the best option for me. I really like my dress and all I had to do was ask.”

Beautz strongly encouraged others to try out this option.

“If you have friends or relatives who still have their dresses, definitely look into it. It saved me so much time and energy,” she suggested.

And still others are not buying or borrowing a dress at all. Junior Jade Chalk decided to wear a suit to the big event.

“I hate dresses,” Chalk said. “They’re so uncomfortable, and I hate the way they look. I’ve always worn dress pants and a dress shirt to everything so I’m not going to wear a dress to prom just because that’s what everyone else is doing.”

Although Chalk is taking a friend as her date, she decided not to worry about matching the suit (a rented grey and purple combo) to her friend’s dress.

Chalk also offered advice to other girls who are thinking about choosing a suit over a dress.

“Do you. Like if you’re going to be uncomfortable in a dress then why would you even go to prom? You’re there to have fun, don’t wear something you’re not going to be comfortable in.”

• Prom Dress Considerations

• Prom Dress Considerations

• Prom Dress Considerations

• Prom Dress Considerations

• Prom Dress Considerations

• Prom Dress Considerations

• Prom Dress Considerations

Confessions of a Chapstick Junkie

• Prom Dress Considerations

National Champs in Your Own Backyard: Bennett Blazers

• Prom Dress Considerations

One American Perspective From Another

• Prom Dress Considerations

Rogue One, Meh

Prom Dress Considerations