The Need For Speed

Sarah Westrick and Emme Shifflett

Like to bike? Junior Drew Nicolaus does, too. Last year, Nicolaus began a mountain biking club for students in the Catonsville area who enjoy biking.

“Me and a friend just wanted to get more people out because a lot of people wanted to ride more but didn’t have people to ride with,” Nicolaus said.

Mt. St. Joseph High School began a mountain biking club in November of 2015, but being that it was organized within the school, it was exclusive to St. Joe students. So, Nicolaus and other CHS students decided to form their own community.

The club, though not through Catonsville High, is made up of about ten CHS students. Many of the students bike as often as every weekend to every day, mainly in the Avalon area of Patapsco State Park.

“My buddies, we felt like there wasn’t enough people out doing what we were doing,” said member and Junior Max Pulone. “It’s really just about getting kids on bikes and having fun on the trails.”

“I didn’t realize how much I loved biking until I went a few days without it…I think it’s important for everyone to have a hobby and this is mine,” said senior Sam Bower.

The bikers use text and email to advertise/get in touch as well as Instagram and Facebook.

“We have connections through the Parks and Rec services, and we also talked to the Catonsville Times” added Pulone.

Videos are posted every so often about their adventures on the trails. Check out their page here.

“It’s really fun for me to edit these videos,” said Nicolaus. “I’m getting pretty good at using all the software.”

Every member of the club has been biking since their legs could reach the pedals, but because most the members are upperclassman, there is uncertainty about the club’s future.

“Some of us are going to college next year, but we all like to bike and many of us will continue in college, as well as get together over the summer,” said Pulone.

“The club is doing very well and expanding and I hope it’ll continue for some time,” Bower said.

“I have the need. The need for speed!” Nicolaus exclaimed.

• The Need For Speed

• The Need For Speed

• The Need For Speed

• The Need For Speed

• The Need For Speed

• The Need For Speed

• The Need For Speed

Confessions of a Chapstick Junkie

• The Need For Speed

National Champs in Your Own Backyard: Bennett Blazers

• The Need For Speed

One American Perspective From Another

• The Need For Speed

Rogue One, Meh

The Need For Speed