Afterschool Jobs Appreciated by Colleges

Karin Jones, Staff

Are you not athletic or involved in extracurricular activities? A part-time job is a way to let colleges know you are involved.

Some people don’t have the ability or skill to qualify for the team. Some people aren’t very interested in the clubs and/or can’t stay after school because of transportation issues.

According to College Board, having a part-time can display your abilities and personality in ways that a club or sport cannot.

Business and tech ed department chair Tracy Rehmert, who also runs the CHS Career to Technology Education program, believes that part-time afterschool and weekend employment shows, “you can manage your time, and can connect with the real world because you are in it.”

A part-time job allows you to posses all the leadership skills (decision-making, communication, commitment, positive attitude, and confidence) that you will contribute to your college in the next four years.

According to author Carol Barash, it is best to talk about challenges, failures, and commitment in your college essay. Having a part-time job, you are able to use the experience of decision-making at the work place. Colleges will be able see the real “you” at the university for the next four years.

Colleges will appreciate your passion and commitment. According to Harvard College, colleges look for “genuine commitment or leadership role.” If you have been at your job for over a course of time you can show how you have committed to something when you first started.

Junior Lauren Townes states that holding a part-time job while taking rigorous classes shows that you are able to “keep up with school and work” without getting too overwhelmed.

Don’t get overwhelmed by your inability to be involved in your school. A part-time job provides a benefit for school allowing you to be gain strong social skills. Get a part-time job to stop stressing about how colleges will look at you for acceptance.

Senior Taijy Dorsey used her part-time job on her college essay. She works an eight hour shift while maintaining academics.

“[Holding a job while attending school] can show you can balance school and work at the same time,” she explained.

Go get involved at work, and express the leadership skills you have been planning to do. Finally,  some jobs including Charleston and Chick Fil-A offer scholarships, so another burden is lifted from actively playing a role at your job.

• Afterschool Jobs Appreciated by Colleges

Confessions of a Chapstick Junkie

National Champs in Your Own Backyard: Bennett Blazers

One American Perspective From Another

Rogue One, Meh