The Power of the Mind -Tips for Positive Thinking-

Arion Peterson, Staff

Everyone feels a sense of hopeless at some point in his or her life, but only the strong will win. A positive mindset will produce positive actions, whereas a negative mindset will produce the opposite. Whatever is planted in the mind will eventually manifest.

Any goal one wants to achieve must start from thinking positively. NEGATIVE energy cannot be put out in hopes of expecting POSITIVE results. Do not constantly think of the things that are fearful. Instead change the mind to think about what is wanted/what should happen, and then they eventually will. Remember, people become what they think about.

Many students go many days waking up on the wrong side of the bed. Letting one small thing that upset them and be control of their mood for the rest of they day. The only limit is yourself.

Having a positive mind is important in all aspects of life. Home, school, work, and even everyday things. If one constantly thinks about the bad, prospering will not happen. In order to have a new and improved, positive mindset, learn how to overcome negative thoughts.

These are the 4 keys to overcoming negative thoughts:

1. Recognize Negative Thought Patterns

Negative thoughts are extremely repetitive and unproductive. Once one learns how to recognize these thoughts, the choice will be theirs on how to react. Negative thinking can take the form of imagining or expecting that bad things will happen or that nothing good will ever happen for you. “It is a common cause of anxiety, depression, and addiction.” Someone may be worrying about doing poorly on a test or having relationship problems, even though nothing has actually happened yet… RELAX, take a deep breath stop being absorbed in what’s wrong so the focus can be on what’s right.

1. Dis-identify From Negative Thinking

Become more aware of thoughts!! Start to pay more attention to what is going on inside the mind at any given time. If people catch negative thoughts in the beginning, the opportunity is still there to regain control, before they spiral out of control.

“You have to think about all the good things that happen in your day” explained Geometry teacher Marianne Davies. “Don’t focus on the things that bring you down.”

1. Mindfulness of the Moment

To become more fully conscious, redirect the attention out of thought and into the present. Give the present moment absolute undivided attention. Whether at home, school, or the park, one must notice everything around them without going into a “mental dialogue” about the things surrounding them. It is almost impossible to be in negative thought if people are mindful of the moment.

According to English teacher, Jessie Stevens, “surrounding yourself with positive people” will help people think more positive because they can rub their energy off on you. Positive people can boost your mood.

School Counselor, Melissa Burman says should talk to their families about any negative thoughts or feelings. She discussed how parents should be involved in heir child’s thought processes. Communication is key when dealing with negative thoughts, and it never hurts to talk about it with someone who cares.

Personal life coach, Kristen Taliaferro explains “There’s usually at least one rotten egg in your life that’s dragging down your mental outlook.” So get rid of the people who don’t make you feel happy in life.

Sophomore Student Tasianna Battle says that “getting rid of fake friends is really helpful.” She found herself in a overall better situation once she got rid of the people bringing her down. “Once you find good friends not only your mood improves, but your grades too,” she described.

1. Find What Makes You Happy

Make the primary focus in life be likes and interests. Doing this helps people only feel better, but it can also help you discover your passions.

Sophomores Ty Holmes and William Caldwell can both agree that “playing sports” and “listening to music” helps them get their minds off things when facing negative thoughts.

Studies show listening to upbeat music can actually improve your mood.

• The Power of the Mind  -Tips for Positive Thinking-

Tips and Tricks for your Senior Interview

Tips on How to Fill Out a Perfect Bracket

Confessions of a Chapstick Junkie

National Champs in Your Own Backyard: Bennett Blazers

One American Perspective From Another

Rogue One, Meh